Some days I just can't get my painting going in the right direction. When those days happen I usually take the day off from painting because it usually will not get better. I had these two awful paintings I quit right in the middle of because they were not working. I didn't throw them away and was not sure what I would do with them. I noticed them sitting, long forgotten, in the corner of my studio and decided to rework and change them up, try something different. I have been on a "Paint Poppies" over and over again thing.
This first painting is a 6 x 6 that I had started a still life with a bottle, a little dish and some brushes in it. The only thing I liked about the painting was how the bottle was coming out, so I kept it in and painted my poppies around it.
The second one was a still life painting I started on a 9 x 12 with a vase, green onions and some lemons...nothing was working for me. The only thing I felt salvageable was the vase, so I painted in poppies around it. Some of the background from the previous painting shows through and I thought that was kind of cool. This one has a lot of green, maybe a little too much. I may tone that down a bit at some later date.