Tuesday, July 22, 2014

The Shane Joseph - Lafitte Skiff

Here is another shrimp boat skiff from Lake Arthur Louisiana, The Shane Joseph.  The net system on these smaller boats are very different from larger boats.  The skiffs have an L-shaped net system and the larger offshore boats have 2 straight boom net systems, both drop down for fishing.

I've been trying to paint chunks of the boats on square 12 x 12 canvas.  I think it adds more character/interest to the painting. I have painted about 8 of these and I think it helps me to repetitively paint the same subject matter.  I like the way they look hanging together as a group.


"The Shane Joseph Lafitte Skiff"
12 x 12 - oils on gallery wrapped canvas


Artist Note:
I've been trying to make the nets look see through.  My process has been to paint what is behind the net a little darker than I would normally paint it.  I've used thalo blue, veridian, alizarin and raw umber mixes to achieve the color of the nets then lightened with white.  I brush the paint over the background using very very light strokes with the side of my brush to try to resemble the light see through nets.  The loaded brush barely touches the canvas.

Happy Painting!

No comments:

Post a Comment