Monday, April 16, 2012

Urn Paintings

I have a couple of these old concrete urns that belonged to my Mother I inherited when she passed away a couple of years ago.  My husband was so kind to move these very heavy planters for me and only complained a little.  I planted petunias in them last year and they are blooming again this spring.

Lately I've painted subject matter more than once to study how it develops.  I've painted this Urn three times, every time I change a little something.  It's interesting to me how different but the same they are.


Note:
For the #1 and #2 backgrounds I painted with a large brush then layered color in with my palette knife.


"Booming Petunias #1"
(4 x 6 - oils on canvas panel)


















"Booming Petunias #2"
(4 x 6 - oils on canvas panel)


The green color in #2 is a combination mix of paints from previous paintings or from other palettes.  I came up with this khaki color and mixed cad orange, cad yellow light and white.










 "Booming Petunias #3"
(6 x 6 - oils on canvas panel)






No comments:

Post a Comment